2008 is so last year. Obligatory top albums of 2008 and other year-end acknowledgements without looking at other top lists so i would not be influenced.
1. Glasvegas: Glasvegas (Columbia)
2. M83: Saturdays = Youth (Mute)
3. Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes (Sub Pop)
4. Lykke Li: Youth Novels (LL)
5. Ting Tings: We Started Nothing (Columbia)
6. Ladytron: Velocifero (Nettwerk)
7. Crystal Castles: Crystal Castles (Last Gang)
8. Bloc Party: Intimacy (Vice)
9. Ruby Suns: Sea Lion (Sub Pop)
10.Futureheads: This is Not the World (nul)
others of note:
Tapes 'N Tapes: Walk it Off (XL)
Walter Meego: Voyager (Almost Gold)
Pack A.D: Funeral Mixtape (Mint)
Does it Offend You, Yeah?: You Have No Idea... (Almost Gold)
Forward Russia: Life Processes (Mute)
Magnetic Fields: Distortion (Nonesuch)
Passion Pit: Chunk of Change EP (Frenchkiss)
top 5 songs
1. Ting Tings- "Great DJ"
2. Kings of Leon- "Sex is on Fire"
3. Uh Huh Her- "Not a Love Song"
4. The Verve- "Love is Noise"
5. Ladytron- "Ghosts"
Wierdest album- Brian Jonestown Massacre: My Bloody Underground
Artists i was sick of hearing about in 2008- She and Him, Vampire Weekend, Black Kids
Best concert - My Bloody Valentine. duh!
Best non-local band performance at local venue- Shiny Toy Guns
Biggest let down on film- X-files: I Want to Believe
Best live WWE wrestling event- Royal Rumble
Most awesome wrestler - CM punk
Saddest non-music story of year - Polar bears resorting to cannibalism
Dumbest local news story- Montauk monster
My own most-spoken quote- "Obama's in the HOUSE!" and "The ice caps are melting, we're all going to die soon and Obama can't save us."
Best humorous video to sum up 2008--- McCain gets Barack rolled.
thanks for reading. and now i go look at other best of 2008 lists.
update: aha! fleet foxes tops on pitchfork. hercules and love affair #1 song? they are out of their f-ing minds. that song is sh*t.